How to Begin a Project from the Current Expertiza Repository
- Log into Github or create an account.
- Set up Git on your development machine:
- Fork the Expertiza project
- Make your changes, committing often, until your project is complete.
- If you want more practice using Git and to help out the Expertiza team, you should merge the current upstream master branch back into your project before creating a pull request.
git remote add upstream https://github.com/expertiza/expertiza.git #Add the upstream remote (expertiza/expertiza) git fetch upstream #Get all current code from upstream git merge remotes/upstream/master #Merge upstream with your current branch
- Fix merge conflicts -- only keep parts of files that you have changed from your work. Everything else should be kept from upstream.
- Your code is HEAD, and upstream is a hash (e.g. 3a8fe31).
- Test the merged code to make sure the functionality of your project remains and nothing broke.
- Push your merged code to your forked repository
git push origin master
- When you are finished, create a pull request so that your code can be easily merged into Expertiza
- Please create a pull request message detailing the changes you made in which files for your project.
- Include the year and semester as a comment in the pull request (e.g., Fall 2013).