- You must have shell access
- You must have root access (via sudo), or the required software must already be installed
Fork Expertiza to your Github
- If you don't have a Github account, register one, and remember the password!!
- go to https://github.com/expertiza/expertiza and click on the "Fork" button on the upper right side.
- When asked "Where should we fork this repository?" choose your account, which usually looks like this "@YourUsername"
- Then go to https://github.com/[YourUsername]/expertiza and click on the "Clone or Download" button
- Copy the url, which usually looks like "https://github.com/[YourUsername]/expertiza.git"
- Then go to your terminal and go to a folder of your choice where the codes will be downloaded into.
- To clone the project, type in "git clone https://github.com/[YourUsername]/expertiza.git"
- when asked for a password, enter your password
Merge your changes to Expertiza
- When you're done editing the code, commit the code to your local repository by executing this in terminal:
- git add -A #mark all changed files to be committed to the repository
- git commit -m "say what you have done to the code" #commit your changes to the local repository
- git push #sync your changes to the remote repository
- Do commit as often as needed to store the states of the code. Do commit before you do changes that you're not sure about. It'd allow you to revert back to your previous states if you screw up the code.
- Do push less often (maybe every 5-10 commits)
- Before requesting for a merge, please refactor your code and put comments. Bad code won't be merged!
- After you're done with beautifying your project, go to https://github.com/[YourUsername]/expertiza, and click on "New pull request" on the left side.
- Your code will be reviewed and merged if the quality is good enough!
[DEPRECATED. DO NOT USE UNLESS ADVISED]
Expertiza Repository URLs
- (ssh, read/write) email@example.com:expertiza/expertiza.git
- (https, read/write) https://github.com/expertiza/expertiza.git
- (git, read-only) git://github.com/expertiza/expertiza.git
git clone <remote>
git clone firstname.lastname@example.org:expertiza/expertiza.git
git clone -b <branch> <remote>
git clone -b production email@example.com:expertiza/expertiza.git
$ brew update $ brew install rbenv $ brew install ruby-build
Install Ruby v. 2.1.5
Install Native Expertiza Dependencies
Dependencies are for the gems raspell, rjb, nokogiri, and mysql.
brew install aspell gcc47 libxml2 libxslt graphviz openssl
Install Bundled Gems
Set JAVA_HOME for the rjb gem (set it to a valid location, your path may vary):
Possible alternate step if _bundle install_ command has build errors:
$ bundle config build.eventmachine --with-cppflags=-I/usr/local/opt/openssl/include $ brew install apple-gcc42 $ brew unlink apple-gcc42 $ brew link apple-gcc42 $ export CC=/usr/local/Cellar/apple-gcc42/4.2.1-5666.3/bin/gcc-4.2 $ export CXX=/usr/local/Cellar/apple-gcc42/4.2.1-5666.3/bin/g++-4.2 $ export CPP=/usr/local/Cellar/apple-gcc42/4.2.1-5666.3/bin/cpp-4.2
Set Up the Database
Set the MySql Root Password
This step is not necessary, but it is advised to set a root mysql password.
mysqladmin -u root password
Run SQL script to scrub DB
Here is the link of Expertiza scrubbed DB (https://drive.google.com/a/ncsu.edu/file/d/0B2vDvVjH76uEMDJhNjZVOUFTWmM/view?usp=sharing) Download the file, unzip it and dump to MySQL.
mysql -uroot -p -h localhost < expertiza_scrubbed.sql
Log in to MySql
mysql -uroot -p
The following commands are executed inside mysql
Create the Expertiza User
create user expertiza@localhost;
Create the Databases
create database expertiza_development;
create database expertiza_test;
Grant Privileges to the Expertiza User
grant all on expertiza_development.* to expertiza@localhost;
grant all on expertiza_test.* to expertiza@localhost;
Build the Expertiza Database
First, you have to copy the sample database config to a real one.
cp config/database.yml.example config/database.yml
Then edit the file and put your mysql password in there so it can log into the db
Notice: You may need to prepend the following commands with
Set up secrets file
cp config/secrets.yml.example config/secrets.yml
First, install bower with npm (install npm first if not already installed)
npm install bower -g
Then run this from the expertiza directory
bower install --allow-root
Please install redis on your machine and then run redis-server command. These commands will help you run redis easily: $ wget http://download.redis.io/releases/redis-4.0.1.tar.gz $ tar xzf redis-4.0.1.tar.gz $ cd redis-4.0.1 $ make $ src/redis-server
Start rails server
Then direct your browser to
You can log in using instructor6. student5000, student5001, etc. are good too. The password for any account is "password".
Import Production Data (Optional)
This step requires that you have your ssh private/public key pairs loaded in the production server under the rails user.
How to Add SSH Keys to the Expertiza Production Server
You must run the following command from your local Expertiza project directory.
cap production load_data