Creating a Linux Development Environment for Expertiza - Installation Guide
This page explains the steps needed to create an Expertiza development environment under a Linux Ubuntu distribution. It might be a good idea to create a virtual machine with this Linux environment.
NOTE: This document is open to be edited by students. Please feel free to add steps required for other platforms or workarounds to any particular problems you had. The authoritative version of this document is on the wolf wiki here
Thrid Party Software Installation
Linux Package Installation
- Update your package sources
sudo apt-get updateor
sudo yum update
- Install ruby, irb, ri, rdoc and ruby1.8-dev.
sudo apt-get install ruby irb ri rdoc
sudo apt-get install ruby1.8-dev libaspell-dev
sudo yum install aspell-devel
- Install the latest rubygem package (at the moment of the writting is 1.3.7)
tar -xzvf rubygems-1.3.7.tgz
sudo ruby setup.rb
- Verify you have the correct version of rubygem (should output 1.3.7)
- Install MySQL server and client. When prompted, leave the root password empty.
sudo apt-get install mysql-server mysql-client
- Install the required libraries to develop with MySQL under ruby.
sudo apt-get install libmysql-ruby libmysqlclient-dev
- Install the SSL libraries.
sudo apt-get install libssl-dev
sudo apt-get install libopenssl-ruby1.8
sudo apt-get install libopenssl-ruby
- Install Graphviz (choose the version of your system)
sudo apt-get install graphviz
- Install SQL fairy that allows to generate the current DB diagram schema
sudo apt-get install sqlfairy
Ruby Gems Installation
- List the currently installed gems
sudo gem list --local
- Install the rails gem currently used by Expertiza (2.2.2)
sudo gem install rails -v 2.2.2
- Install other gems used in the project
sudo rake gems:install
- Install Graphr. For instructions refer to the GraphR website.
Expertiza Development Environment
Visit https://github.com/expertiza/expertiza for the repository URL. Make sure you're logged in if you have commit access, because the URL will be different.
git clone (repository URL)
See https://help.github.com for help on setting up git, authenticating with SSH keys, and checking out a repository.
Set up databases
- Go to the expertiza directory.
- Create the development and test databases.
- Run the Expertiza database migrations. This should populate your database with the current tables of the schema.
- Go to the trunk directory if you are not already there.
- Start the web server.
- Open a web browser to verify if the application is running as expected.
The administrator account for the development environment can be accessed using the login and password string “admin”. You may need to add additional users during your development.
If you like developing under Linux, emacs or vim offer good functionality for ruby development. However, you can use the editors available in Windows, such as Notepad++. To browse the linux directories from the Windows Explorer you can use ExpanDrive provided by NCSU or WinScp. Similarly you can use Putty to communicate with the linux server.
Back to Expertiza Main page.